Irish Lotto Price Rise (And How To Beat It)
Note: *The following article is purely for fun. It is based on individual opinions and does not constitute advice. The drawing of lottery numbers is entirely random. Please always gamble responsibly. #Ad. Find out more on our How Our Site Works page.
If you hadn't heard yet, we're sorry to the bearer of bad news... the price of the official Irish lottery is set to rise in September 2018.
This price jump will make it the second time that the Canadian owned operator, Premier Lotteries Ireland (PLI), has increased prices since they took over in the Lotto privatisation in 2015.
How exactly is the price changing for the Irish Lotto?
Irish customers will know that the current price of a normal ticket with two lines and Lotto plus costs €5. On September 1st, that will increase to €6. That price increase comes from the Lotto Plus 1 and Lotto Plus 2 draws rising from 50 cent to €1 per line.
The only silver lining currently is there will be no change in the price for the main lotto draw separately, which will stay at €4 (a minimum two-line play is required).
What % of customers will this price increase affect?
Research shows that as many as 90% of customers in Ireland select the Lotto Plus options so it's fair to say this price increase is likely to affect the vast majority of Lotto players.
How do PLI justify the price increase?
The Irish Times has quoted a Premier Lotteries Ireland spokesperson saying "We advised players through the press on August 4th of restrictions on advanced Lotto play due to exciting new enhancements to our Lotto Plus games."
"These enhancements will see more winners and more millionaires. As well as extra prizes, the changes will include the top prize in Lotto Plus 1 doubling from €500,000 to €1 million," she said.
"To support these enhancements there will be an increase in the price of a Lotto Plus line from 50 cent to €1, the first increase in 16 years," she said
Can I Avoid the Price Rise?
If you're an Irish customer and you only want to engage through the official lottery tickets, then the answer is no. (Unless you simply stop selecting the Lotto Plus options)
However there are two other hugely popular ways to engage with the Irish Lotto with no current price change:
1. Bet on between 1-5 correct balls being drawn with operators like Bet365 and Betfred
- Born in retail betting shops, the digital betting revolution has made this a hugely popular and exciting option.
- Bet from as little as 10 cents/pence
- You don't need to be in Ireland
- Fantastic payouts from the top operators; at the time of writing Bet365 and Betfred are offering a whopping £700 in winnings on 3 correct numbers
- Amazing welcome offers: See below for an incredible offer from Betfred for eligible new customers
2. Bet on jackpots like the actual lotto through operators like Lottoland
- To the lotto operator, these are 'parasites'. To many customers they are fantastic innovators offering choice in the market
- From a customer perspective, you choose your numbers as normal and can win the same jackpots.
- The key differences are:
- The jackpot is paid out through insurance
- You don't have to be in Ireland to play
- The same contribution to good causes isn't made
- So far, Lottoland haven't advised of any price hikes
- They offer exciting innovations like the option to Pay extra to Double the Jackpot
Beat The Price Hike
Join Lottoland or Bet365 and continue betting on the Irish Lotto.Join Lottoland Join Bet365